Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Story Cubes - Teaching Tuesday

Today's Teaching Tuesday Idea is:

STORY CUBES
I had my class create these story cubes for Open House a couple of years ago and they made a great display.  Each student read a mystery book and completed six activity pages in response to the reading.  You can alter the project to include anything that applies to your grade level. Some ideas include:
  • characters
  • setting
  • problem / solution
  • beginning / middle / end
  • recreate the cover
  • summary
  • facts learned from the book
Google "cube template" to find an outline that works for you.  I made a transparency of a cube template and projected it onto posterboard to create large, sturdy colorful cubes.  It is a bit time-consuming and works best with a hot glue gun so I would suggest having a parent volunteer help. 

I placed these on a table for open house, but they also look great hanging from the ceiling as well.

No comments: